SWOD Power Clean 5x3 (add 2.5 lbs to last workout) Strict Chin Ups 3 x max reps
DWOD Complete 5 rounds: You have 60 seconds to complete the following... 20 KB Swings - 2 pood Sprint 60 yards *Rest 2 minutes between rounds.
The other day I saw that Melissa had posted on her Facebook page that she was having a hard time falling asleep, so I thought I would do little post on falling asleep.
Recovery is the key to get stronger and allowing you to get back in the gym to get more work done, so obviously the faster that you recover the better. We know that the immune system is the key to recovery, and our gut health affects the immune system. There are a few ways that we know to accelerate recovery/affect the immune system, (1) nutrition (2) sleep (3) PWO meal (4) post workout stretch/cool down.
Lets focus on sleep. If you are getting 6 hours or less of sleep your immune system can be up to 30% compromised. Since we know the immune system is key to recovery you can see how this can be a problem. Here are a few things that can help optimize sleep.
- Sleep in a pitch-black room. Go buy some black out curtains and cover up all lights from electronics.
- 30-60 minutes before bed stay away from your cell phone, computer, and T.V. The artificial light given off from these are meant to keep your attention and increase your alertness
- Be in bed by 10:00pm. There is something about the sleep time from 10:00pm-2:00am that helps normalize your circadian rhythm.
- Start creating a habit before going to bed such as, stretching, foam rolling, reading (from books not your computer). Your body will start to realize its time for bed once a routine is established.
- No caffeine post 4:00pm.
- You can try things like Magnesium, ZMA, Natural Calm, Holy Basil, etc. Sometimes these things can have a calming effect, and help relax you for bed.
Although the supplements mentioned in number 6 can help out, 1-4 is really where the money is. How many of these do you currently do? Is there anything that isn’t on the list that you currently do that you think improves your sleep quality?
2013 06 13